Friday, December 9, 2011

Stuck in time

I've been working in industry for almost 8 months now as a synthetic chemistry intern for a pharmaceutical. I'm trying to figure out if I like it more than academic, if I like Chemistry as a career, or if I want to go some different direction entirely. My biggest problem is that it's rare that I would be doing something only to experience the "I love this; this is what I want to be doing for the rest of my life". Although the most recent time I've felt that, it turned out to be one of the greatest mistakes.

I've been called an old man a few times now because of my job. Social life comes in bursts; never often enough, never long enough. Part of it is it's now crunch time, and everyone's either doing their thesis, working, or trying to take over the(ir) world.

I constantly have a feeling that I'm stuck, with no clear path to follow, and my past running at the speed of light trying to catch up with me. I need to enjoy some escapism. Last year, being in the musical helped me put my combined honours degree in a box in the back of my mind. This year, I'm trying to complete my last work term somewhere away from here; Germany, Switzerland, San Francisco, anywhere that'll take me. I do hope that I do hear back, and that the escape will be everything I hoped for and more.

No comments: