Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Speeches

Unlike Joan, I had the opportunity to speak, but I chose not to because I was petty. Maybe that'll teach me a lesson. Below's my speech that I would've gave had I not been petty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! As most of you might know, I'm Justin, and I'm running to be your next treasurer. (this part is added after most of the prez speeches) Some of the previous speeches have skipped over qualifications, citing that it is boring, but I think it is important to know that your treasurer can handle your money. I have been the financial controller for the last 2.5 years in high school - we tend to not talk about who was financial controller for the first half of the year. This year, I am part of SUS's First year council as a member of the finance committee. With this much experience, I am sure I am more than competent with handling your money.

Then there is what separates me from the rest of the competition. I am extremely meticulous with my book keeping. Anyone who has seen my chemistry exams can testify to this. Also, I am really good at filing for reimbursements as soon as I get the receipts.

Why do I do all of this? In my heart, I think the good and the bad times we've went through this year will stay with our lives for a long time. Even if you are not part of the execs, you are still an SOS, for life. I will do everything in my power to make the SOS club run as smoothly as I can. I mean, if anyone questions my commitment to helping out, just look at my hair.

Thank you for your time, and vote for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing this makes me think it is infinitely better than "Vote for me, or vote for the alternative (points to Sean). Thank you". But I'm trying to decide if it'd really make a difference.

We'll see in about 3 days I suppose (when they say they'll post results sometime tonight, it'll probably end up as 2 nights from now, and I'm giving them wiggle room)

No comments: